Sweetwater 1828


Home of Major John Brahan, veteran of War of 1812, Major General, Alabama Militia, who owned 4,000 acres here. Built of bricks made on the place, marble mantels imported from Italy, boxwood hedge from London. Named for spring nearby.

Federals and Confederates quartered here at various times during the Civil War. Home of Brahan's son-in-law, Robert M. Patton, Governor of Alabama, 1865-1868.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Phyllis White

My thanks to Sweetwater for inviting me to do a booksigning Halloween weekend. It was good to get to see the inside of this historical building which is such a part of Florence's history. I believe with new plaster and paint the old mansion will be well on its way to its former glory.
 The tour guides and story tellers did a great job in telling the history of Sweetwater as well as relating a few ghost stories.
 I got the unexpected pleasure of witnessing one of Sweetwater's ghosts when I was alone in the house. I heard a loud noise in the next room.  When I went to the door to investigate, I saw nothing, but as I turned to leave a long blue flash of light came from the edge of the ceiling and shot about 20 feet across the room. When I related to the guide later what I saw, she showed me a photo from 1936 of a ghost in Sweetwater mansion that looked exactly like what I saw.  It was pretty amazing.
Thanks again to Sweetwater for allowing me to promote my books and to join in the fun.
You are all doing a great job in working to preserve on of our best landmarks.
Phyllis White

No comments: